Summary Reef Environmental Education Foundation (REEF), a non-profit, marine conservation organization, is seeking to hire a Store Manager to oversee the online and retail store of REEF. REEF coordinates marine life education, field research, and one of the largest citizen science programs in the world. REEF programs engage with the public through unique partnerships with private, governmental, scientific, and educational sectors. The REEF Store provides field supplies and other materials that support REEF’s mission to engage and educate divers and snorkelers in citizen science activities.
Priority tasks and duties will include, but may not be limited to the following responsibilities:
• Manage accounting for all store transactions including processing customer credit cards for online and in store orders. Maintain vendor contracts and filing.
• Manage packing and shipping of orders. Maintains inventory of packing supplies. Ensures accuracy of shipping prices charged to orders.
• Ensure availability of merchandise by maintaining inventories and managing storage.
• Research new products to carry in store to support REEF’s mission. Identify current and future trends that appeal to consumers.
• Ensure accurate pricing on retail and online store. Assist in determining wholesale discount rates and sale specials to ensure profitability ratios.
• Train staff/interns to assist with store order fulfillment and inventory oversight. Supervise accuracy of orders packaged and shipped by staff/interns.
• Create and maintains appealing store displays, both at Headquarters and online. Ensure displays are stocked and clean.
• Ensure standards for quality, accuracy of order fulfillment, and overall customer service.
• Assist with merchandise sales for events at Headquarters and offsite.
• Handle customer questions, complaints, and issues.
• Assist with broader communication, outreach, and capacity building efforts to support REEF’s Volunteer Survey Project, and other related REEF activities. The staff member will work collaboratively with other REEF staff and interns.
Bachelors or higher degree in relevant field, or equivalent work experience in retail management. Proficiency with desktop computers and office software, as well as excellent written and oral communication skills are required. Highly positive attitude and aptitude for working as a self-starter in a fast-paced non-profit organization. Strong interest in ocean life, marine conservation, and citizen science a plus. Ability to work in a diverse and collaborate team across multiple disciplines.
This is a part time position with an annual salary of $10,000 with an average workload of 15-20 hours a week.
The position will be based at REEF’s Key Largo, Florida Headquarters, a 1913 historic conch-style house converted into offices, a retail area, and classrooms. Headquarters staff includes the Director of Operations, Director of Special Projects, Education Program Manager, Lionfish Program Coordinator, Trips & Communications Assistant, interns and volunteers. Work environment is casual. Four additional staff – Director of Science, Membership Development Coordinator, Outreach Coordinator, and Volunteer Fish Survey Project Assistant – are located in Washington and California. The position will report to the Director of Operations.
The position will be based at REEF’s Headquarters in Key Largo, Florida, a 1913 historic conch-style house converted into offices, a retail area, and classrooms. Headquarters staff includes the Director of Operations, Director of Special Projects, Store Manager, Lionfish Program Coordinator, Communication and Education Program Manager, Trips Program Manager, interns and volunteers. Work environment is casual. Four additional staff – Director of Science, Membership Development Coordinator, Volunteer Fish Survey Project Program Assistant, and Outreach Coordinator – are located in remote offices. This position will report to the Director of Special Projects.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to Martha Klitzkie, Director of Operations, at Martha@REEF.org. Position will be open until filled.
Reef Environmental Education Foundation (REEF) was founded in 1990 as a way to educate scuba divers and snorkelers in marine life identification and to utilize their marine life sightings. Patterned after the successful Audubon and Cornell birding programs, REEF has grown into a 40,000 plus member organization with programs in place throughout the western hemisphere. Primary among these programs is the Volunteer Fish Survey Project, enabling marine enthusiasts to conduct surveys and submit sightings data from throughout the Tropical Western Atlantic, coastal North America, Tropical Eastern Pacific, Hawaii, and South Pacific. Data are managed by REEF staff and made available to researchers, scientists, managers, and the public free of charge via REEF’s on-line database at www.REEF.org. To date more than 175,000 marine life surveys have been submitted.
In addition to the Survey Project, REEF maintains a large and active diver education program with standardized course materials for each of its survey regions. Strong partnerships within the diving industry and effective outreach provide opportunities for thousands of divers to learn about marine life and take part in surveying activities throughout the year. REEF manages the July-long Great Annual Fish Count; the Grouper Moon Project – researching grouper spawning aggregations; the Exotic Species Program – tracking the impact and control of non-native marine fish species, particularly the human-induced invasion of Indo-Pacific lionfish into the Tropical West Atlantic; Special Projects – assessing fish population changes in and around marine reserves and on and around newly developed artificial reefs; printed and e-newsletter communications; and, several week-long field survey and data gathering expeditions. REEF maintains strong partnerships with federal, state, and local government agencies as well as other US based and international agencies, NGOs, and business entities.
REEF is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.