REEF uses a hierarchical 8-digit code system for survey site locations. Each geographic area has its own set of codes. When completing a survey, you need to know the complete 8-digit code for the site you surveyed.
If the site that you surveyed is not currently on our list, then please email zonecode@REEF.org to request a new code to be assigned. Please provide the site name, general location, and ideally the latitude and longitude.
- Tropical Western Atlantic - TWA
- California, Pacific Northwest and Alaska - PAC
- Hawaii - HAW
- Tropical Eastern Pacific - TEP
- South Pacific - SOP
- Northeast US and Eastern Canada - NE
- South Atlantic States - SAS
- Central Indo-Pacific - CIP
- Eastern Atlantic and Mediterranean - EAM
- Indian Ocean and Red Sea - IORS