Thank you for your interest in REEF's underwater photography contest! Voting has concluded and the winners will be annouced soon.
REEF members worldwide are invited to participate in our first underwater photography contest! Please contact photocontest@REEF.org with any questions.
REEF members may submit one photo in each of six different categories:
Fish Portrait: A portrait shot of fish only. Portrait shots usually focus on one fish and can be of its whole body or framed tightly around its head.
Macro: Shots that are extremely close up, making the subject appear larger than life size.
Invertebrates: Images featuring a marine invertebrate.
REEF Surveyor: Diver(s) who are completing a REEF survey must be included in the image.
Lionfish/Invasive Species: This must include a marine invasive species, ex. lionfish.
Reefscape/Habitat/Environment: These photos must be of a marine environment or reefscape. They do not have to be underwater but must be marine focused, examples are over/under shots, mangroves, topside water shots, etc.
Guidelines for Entry
● Contestants should submit photos to photocontest@REEF.org in a high resolution .JPEG file, labeled as follows: Name.Category.Name of Photo.Location of Photo.
● Please include contact information in your submission.
● All entries must be received by midnight EST on July 29.
● There is no fee to participate.
Rules and Policies
● Submissions are for REEF members only. If you are not a REEF member, please join here: www.REEF.org/user/register
● Photographers can enter any and all of the six categories (described above), submitting no more than one photo per category.
● Photos do not have to be underwater but must be marine focused.
● Photos taken as a result of harassment to marine life that could be harmful to the subject may be disqualified at the judges' discretion.
● To ensure anonymity in judging, please do not watermark your images.
● All photos submitted must follow all guidelines set by REEF. REEF reserves the right to disqualify any photos deemed unfit.
Judging will be from July 30-Aug. 12. Submissions will be judged by three separate panels including professional photographers, REEF staff and board, and popular vote. Each judging panel will select a winning photo from each of the six categories, for a total of 18 winning photographs. The professional photographers panel will also choose their overall favorite image to be honored as "Best in Show." Winning photos will be announced on August 13. The winning photos and photographers will be featured in REEF’s July 2020 - December 2021 calendar. The "Best in Show" winner will be featured on the calendar's front cover. In addition, winning photos will be displayed at REEF Fest 2019 sponsored by Capital Bank Foundation.
Copyright of all photos submitted are maintained by the author. REEF reserves the right to reproduce all submitted photos for training and conservation programming with photo credit.