Last summer, we launched a brand-new version of the REEF website! There are many improved features on this new interface that we'd like to share with you. This month, we'll show you how to find a geographic zone code for a dive or snorkel site you’ve surveyed or are going to survey.
Step 1: Go to the Programs Tab on www.REEF.org and select Geographic Zone Codes & Maps
Step 2: Select the region you want on the list
Step 3: Locate on the map the area you want, and hover your mouse over it.
Step 4: In some areas, you can zoom in to get a closer look within the region by clicking on the magnifying class icon
Step 5: To view a list of the geographic zone codes in that area, click on the generate report icon
Step 6: You can print the list by clicking on the + icon in the bottom right hand of your screen, or by clicking Ctrl-P on your keyboard.
Step 7: If you see that REEF does not have the GPS coordinates for a particular site, you can report them by clicking on the 'report' link. Note that lats and longs are not visible on the website.
Important things to note:
- It’s always a good idea to get familiar with the zone codes in an area before you go
- REEF uses a hierarchical 8-digit code system for survey site locations
- When completing a survey, you’ll need to know the complete 8-digit code for the site you surveyed
- Each geographic region (TWA, HAW, NE, etc.) has its own set of codes
- If the site that you surveyed is not currently on our list, then please email zonecode@REEF.org to request a new code to be assigned. Please provide the site name, general location, and ideally the latitude and longitude
We hope you'll give some of these new features a try! Please email janna@REEF.org with any comments or questions.