Share your passion for ocean conservation and citizen science by becoming a REEF Ocean Ambassador. Ambassadors are dedicated REEF members who actively engage and inspire others to protect marine environments through REEF’s citizen science programs. Ocean Ambassadors make a lasting impact by connecting people in their communities to ocean conservation. REEF provides Ambassadors with support, resources, and recognition for their involvement. Together, we’re creating a brighter future for the oceans.
Are you interested in getting your organization involved with Ocean Ambassadors? Check out our Conservation Partner program, designed for organizations who are enthusiastic about sharing REEF's marine conservation work with others.
Ocean Ambassadors regularly participate in one or more REEF programs and engage with the public through Ocean Ambassador Opportunities, including outreach activities, teaching classes or workshops, hosting events like Fishinar viewings, organizing fundraisers, and more. Check out the list of Ocean Ambassador Opportunities below for ideas! Most importantly, Ocean Ambassadors help connect individuals who want to learn about the ocean and become involved with REEF.
If you are interested in making a difference as an Ocean Ambassador, please click here to apply today, and a REEF staff will reach out to you. For any questions, please email oceanambassadors@REEF.org.
- Take your love for oceans and REEF a step further
- You can make a difference! Ocean Ambassadors serve as a catalyst for marine citizen science through outreach and education activities
- Build community with other ocean lovers and connect with people who share your interests
- Give back to marine life. As an Ocean Ambassador, you’ll encourage others to get involved in marine conservation and engage with REEF programs
- Serve as an on-the-ground leader for ocean conservation
- Resources to help you expand your impact, including REEF contact info cards, event flyers, and other informational materials
- Exclusive Ocean Ambassador sticker as part of the Conservation Challenge
- Access to two annual, virtual group meetings with REEF staff and other Ambassadors, to share ideas and successes
- Ongoing email support from REEF team members
- Invitation to a private REEF Ocean Ambassador Facebook group to discuss ideas and connect with other Ambassadors
- Special recognition opportunities at events and in REEF communications
- Sign up new REEF members
- Promote REEF fundraising campaigns (Facebook fundraiser, sharing REEF fundraising emails with friends)
- Post on Facebook groups about their involvement (ex. Picture of their fish ID class)
- Share REEF social media posts on their accounts
- Represent REEF at outreach events in your area
- Present information about REEF programs (presentation provided by REEF)
- Host a Fishinar viewing event
- Teach a Fish ID class
- Organize a group survey dive or snorkel
- Mentor new surveyors
- Administer Experience Level tests
- Analyze the REEF database for trends and interesting information
- Organize lionfish removal events, such as a REEF Sanctioned Lionfish Derby
- Teach a Lionfish Collecting & Handling Workshop or Lionfish Jewelry Workshop
- Report lionfish and native predator interactions