The following dates and locations have been set for REEF’s 2018 Lionfish Derby Series presented by Whole Foods Market®:
- June 8th – 10th: Miami Lionfish Derby at the Phillip and Patricia Frost Museum of Science*
- July 6th – 8th: Sarasota Lionfish Derby at Mote Marine Laboratory and Aquarium*
- July 13th & 14th: Fort Lauderdale Lionfish Derby at 15th Street Fisheries
- August 3rd – 5th: Palm Beach County Lionfish Derby at Loggerhead Marinelife Center*
- August 10th – 12th: Jacksonville Lionfish Derby at Beach Marine*
- September 14th – 16th: Upper Keys Lionfish Derby at John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park*
For registration and further information, go to: www.REEF.org/lionfish/derbies.
This year’s derby series will also include a number of culinary events (noted by asterisks) with special lionfish tastings, demonstrations, and chef’s competitions. New prize categories this year will include a special $1,000 Golden Fish Award open to any team that lands at least one fish and a first timer’s category for teams who are taking part in the series for the first time. Cash awards for 1st through 10th place will be awarded for most lionfish and 1st through 3rd for both largest and smallest lionfish.
In 2017, teams removed over 2,500 lionfish and more than 21,000 lionfish have been removed since the derbies began in 2010. Both divers and snorkelers are invited to compete in removal events and derby festivities are open to the public. Mandatory Captain Meetings will be held the day before each derby. On derby day, spectators are encouraged to attend and taste free lionfish samples.