REEF Fest 2023 is coming up on October 19-22 in Key Largo, Florida. Join us for free, educational ocean seminars, diving, snorkeling, kayaking, nature tours, and socials! You can see all the details and register at www.REEF.org/REEFfest. We're excited to host free ocean seminars at Murray Nelson Government Center on Oct. 20 and 21. Our seminar speakers include:
- John Claydon, Ph.D., Executive Director, Integrated Marine Biosphere Research, who will discuss seafood mislabeling and the impact this has on grouper conservation.
- Alex Troutman, NOAA Knauss Fellow with the Fish and Aquatic Conservation Program, who will share stories of his work in the field, while highlighting the importance of providing accessible ocean experiences and connections for historically-excluded and marginalized communities.
- Martin Russell, Manager, Coral Sea Marine Park, Australia, who will talk about management, research, and protections for the pristine reefs and islands of Australia's Coral Sea Marine Park.
- Jason Belport, Underwater Photographer, who will share a firsthand account of the challenges and hopes for the marine ecosystems of the Cayman Islands, as well as a photographic journey from dive travels around the world.
- Christy Semmens, Ph.D., REEF Co-Executive Director: Science and Engagement, and Brice Semmens, Ph.D., Professor, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, who will celebrate of three decades of the REEF Volunteer Fish Survey Project, and share updates on REEF's conservation science work.
In addition to ocean seminars, you can get out on the water and explore the amazing marine life of the Florida Keys by snorkeling, diving, and kayaking. Limited space is still available on our REEF Fest charters, but be sure to book your eco-excursions soon because spaces are filling fast! We also hope to see you at the annual REEF Campus Open House on Oct. 19 and the REEF Fest Happy Hour Social on Oct. 20. Lastly, don't forget to purchase your ticket to the For the Love of the Sea Celebration on Oct. 21. The event is hosted at a beautiful location overlooking Florida Bay, and includes dinner, an open bar, live music, and a silent auction. We hope to see you at REEF Fest this fall!